Trump Administration Releases Wall Details
On Friday, the Trump administration released details about the incoming border wall. Some of the requirements for the new southern border will include a “physically imposing, hard to penetrate, and aesthetically pleasing” wall.
President Trump’s border wall budget will begin with a $2.6 billion dollar bill to start construction on the wall. Trump believes the wall will cost around $12 billion total to finish the 2,000-mile border.
Contractors are currently making bids to work on the wall.
Some of the requirements from the Trump administration include:
• Reinforced concrete and “physically imposing height.” The government expects the wall to be at least 18 feet tall, but they would prefer for it to be about 30 feet in height.
• In addition to the height, no one should be able to climb the all unassisted, meaning there should also be “anti-climb topping features.”
• There should also be obstacles to prevent anyone from tunneling under the wall, meaning a barrier should go beneath the ground a depth of six feet.
• In terms of the depth of the wall, it should be able to withstand an hour of having people try to breach the wall with their fist, pick ax, shovel, or sledgehammer…
In Contrast to the Existing Wall
• The United States side of the wall, which will face north, should be “aesthetically pleasing in color, anti-climb texture, etc., to be consistent with general surrounding environment.” This also includes “the wall fittings and fixtures shall be secured on the north side of the wall to shield from external attack.”
• Finally, Trump called for the wall to include a “big, beautiful door,” meant to accommodate large vehicles with sliding gates.
Currently, these are the main features mentioned by the Trump administration, but it’s likely they’ll continue to share more details once contractors have been chosen.
What do you think of these details for Trump’s border wall?