Your Dog Could Suffer From This Devastating Bite If You Don’t Train Them To…


A dog doesn’t have to live in the country to experience poisonous snake bites. A large flat rock located near a water source can harbor a Rattlesnake, Copperhead, or Water Mocassin. So what can you do to train your dog to avoid poisonous snake bites – this may shock you! 

You can get a taste of the training from this CBS News footage. Cody Wills of Sacramento, California, uses low-intensity shock collars and a controlled environment to keep dogs safe when the temperatures get warm.

Do you know which snakes live near you? Check out this Interactive Map to find out what snakes live where. It might surprise you.

Poisonous Snake Bites Hit Home!

The one call we didn’t expect to receive while on vacation at Disney World, “Mimi’s been bitten by a poisonous snake. Don’t know what kind, but she’s been hit twice on her muzzle.” Poisonous snake bites impact the whole family, not just the victim.

Photo credit Ginger Dispain Vet Tech and friend of Linda Goldfarb

In 2016, our sweet girl’s face swelled to an enormous size because of the poisonous snake bites. Mimi was hit twice and though she received antibiotics the venom took its toll. (We did not get anti-venom due to the location of the bites.) 

Living on a small piece of land in South Texas, my Husband, Sam and I are quite aware of the venomous snakes living in our area. Encountering snakes is an annual event around these parts, but awareness alone is not the best deterrent for a rescue dog. A dog’s natural curiosity can quickly get them into trouble unless they have previously learned to stay out of harm’s way. 

If you live in a relatively snake-free area, keep them in mind, especially when traveling with your dog to a place where snakes are common. 

Not A Pretty Picture

Photo Credit Linda Goldfarb

This is an up-close view of MiMi’s throat after we debrided her neck with water twice a day for three weeks. The affected area began about an inch outside of the healed area pictured above. It was a tedious process, but our girl was well worth the time and effort.

Gotta Love Our Rescue Dogs

photo credit Linda Goldfarb

Here’s MiMi before the bite, and she looks pretty much the same now. We are quite fortunate as many dogs die from snake bite. 

Snake avoidance training is a powerful tool for any dog owner. Be sure though, that any training you receive is performed by professionally qualified instructors. Preventive Vet is a great resource beyond what I’ve posted here.

If you need an uplifting distraction after seeing these photos check out these rescue dog transformations

Has your dog experienced a poisonous snake bite? What happened?