Everyone knows Dolly….at least they think they do! The Southern-accented buxom bombshell came from humble roots, doesn’t pass as herself in a contest, and has a really specific pizza order. Here are some fun facts about one of country’s favorite blondes!
Family, Friends, Food, and Fun
1. She grew up poor. Really poor. But she doesn’t regret that. As she told ETonline: “I think my childhood made me everything I am today. I would trade nothing for being brought up in the Great Smoky Mountains. I’ve never been ashamed of my people no matter how poor or dirty we might have been. I’ve always loved being from where I am, and having the folks that I’ve had.”
2. Apparently her parents didn’t have cash to pay the doctor when she was born, so her father paid with a bag of grain.
3. Judy Ogle is her best friend…and has been for at least 50 years! Apparently, Judy was the extroverted one growing up!
4. Once she entered a Dolly Parton look-alike contest…and lost! She told ABC News that she was at “a Halloween contest years ago on Santa Monica Boulevard where all the guys were dressed up like me and I just overexaggerated my look and went in and just walked up on stage. … I didn’t win. I didn’t even come in close, I don’t think.”
5. She is godmother to singer Miley Cyrus, and definitely approves of Miley’s fiancé.
6. She knows exactly what she likes on pizza. As she told One Country, its “the supreme on thin crust…with extra pork sausage.”
7. Rides are a no-go at her amusement park, Dollywood. According to Mental Floss, this is because she gets motion sick easily. As they quote her: “I could never ride some of these rides. I used to get sick on the school bus.”
A Lasting Legacy
The shy girl from deeply poor Appalachian roots becomes one of the most recognizable and loved figures of her time. She is the star of wonderfully iconic 80s movies (Steel Magnolias and 9 to 5), and singer of almost 100 albums and singles. From Dollywood to Hollywood, Parton is her own brand of lasting legacy.