The word is out about nuts and seeds. They provide a powerhouse of healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. How do you add them to your daily diet? Let’s take a look.
First, always check with your doctor to be sure nuts and seeds are a good option for you. Then choose a few of the following yummy ways to incorporate them into your meals. 1/4 of a cup equals one serving.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts onto your cereal or oatmeal.
- Toss some chia or hemp seeds into your smoothy.
- If bacon and eggs are your top choice, enjoy a 1/4 cup of your favorite nuts on the side.
- When you make pancakes, run a mixture of nuts and seeds through your food processor and add them to the batter.
- Add nuts and seeds to your salads.
- Chop walnuts and mix them into your tuna.
- Try a nut butter sandwich– like almond, cashew, or sunflower seed.
- Dip your apples or bananas in nut butter, too.
- Add pesto made of pine nuts to your Italian dishes.
- Make pistachio encrusted salmon or add finely chopped nuts to your breading for chicken.
- Enjoy a slice of heavy seeded bread.
- Sprinkle toasted, slivered almonds into your green beans.
Nuts and Seeds to Share With Your Grandkids
Unfortunately, many of our grands have peanut and tree-nut allergies. However, if nuts and seeds are ok, get creative as you introduce them.
Most kids will try a cereal bar packed full of them and our teens may enjoy a nutty protein bar. They may also like candied versions you mix or bake. Which also gives you something quick and easy to make together.
One of my favorites in the fall is to roast pumpkin and sunflower seeds with my grands and package them for their school lunches. And we all love to crack open peanuts out on the patio in summer.
If your grandkids like to try exotic tastes, there is a wide variety of pre-husked, flavors of sunflower seeds. Buy some to mix in with popcorn.
Last, but not least, let your grands enjoy a sunflower husk spitting contest. Your backyard may sprout some unexpected flowers and you enrich your diet.